Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Proud Sister

Where does the time go? When did my baby sister become this amazing young woman? I mean I am continually talking to her and hearing about her latest (more grown up) adventures but this last time I saw her was different and has still left me a little emotional (in a good way).

As expected, Beth's first year in college has been a huge success. She's kicking butt on Western Washington's track team, has made a great group of friends, she's rocking all of her classes and continuing to grow spiritually and as a person. On Friday, Juan, Gisele and I drove up to LA (well Azusa if you know where that is) to watch Beth throw her personal record of 145'4" and take 3rd place at the Bryan Clay Invitational (missed 2nd place by 1")! I LOVED watching her warm up (so focused and determined) and of course was amazed by how far she could launch that javelin! But more than anything I couldn't have been happier to see her beautiful face and give her lots of big sister hugs and kisses. Growing up...it is a funny thing. Beth isn't a little girl anymore. I will always call her my baby sister; but I do realize that one day our 8 year age difference will no longer be evident. As she is growing up our age gap is getting smaller and smaller. This last visit was an eye opener for this big sister. Beth is in COLLEGE! She's living in another state all on her own. Mom, John and I aren't watching over her shoulder pushing her along. She is doing it all on her own (I'm tearing up!). 

From the moment I spotted Bethany across the track to saying goodbye, I was in continual AWE of the young lady before me. I've enjoyed being the older, "wiser" big sister; trying to set a good example for my little sister but this last visit I realized she doesn't need my example anymore, maybe advice when she asks for it but she is well on her way. We couldn't get up close to the area where she throws but watching her from a distance she looked so professional and grown up. When she was done throwing and came over to us, we were clearly all having a moment hugging, laughing etc. and this older gentleman walked up interrupting us; apparently he threw the javelin 60 years ago and asked to hold Beth's javelin. Watching her treat this random man with such love, patience and kindness; I was so proud. I know it is a small thing but I don't get to see her interactions with others every day. 


Of course Gisele took to her right away, holding her hand, wanting to run with her and hold her. So cute! Beth was a natural with her. It was so fun watching her interact with G. She was so sweet and loving, (little early to say this but...) she is going to be such a great mother when the time comes!

Then we all went out to lunch and she had the audacity to offer to pay for herself not once but twice! What the heck...who is this grown up lady offering to pay. So very grown up of her and so weird for me to experience. 
Such a cry baby

Anyways I could go on and on about all the little things, interactions with her teammates, conversation topics etc. needless to say...I was amazed by my little sister. Hugging her goodbye, I couldn't squeeze tight enough or stop blubbering like a baby. I can't wait to see her again! Love you so so much Beth! 


Guess who is expecting a baby SISTER! (from her mom...not us)

No comments: