Wednesday, September 11, 2013

51 Years

Last year Juan and I road tripped up to Northern California with my Dad, Allison, Cole and Christian to celebrate my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. Juan got to meet the entire Rowland Clan and we got to witness my grandparents celebrating a special mass, renewing their vows before God. It was so special. 

No marriage is perfect, Grandma Shirley and Grandpa Chuck have had more than their share of struggles during their 51 years of marriage. My grandma is a writer, not as a profession but she is really good at writing from the heart. She has written some beautiful cards and letters to me. When life presents struggles, someone in your family, be it a grandparent, aunt, or parent has probably experienced something similar. Their advice might not work for you but it is definitely worth listening. There is a particular letter that my grandma wrote about marriage, describing a young girl who married this man Charles and their story. I tear up every time I read it. It is a beautiful story of life's struggles and successes. Definitely a story I use in my life and as I prepare to marry the love of my life, Juan and I will use it as a reminder for us during our hard times. Grandma Shirley and Grandpa Chuck celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary this year in San Diego with us Rowland's down here. We had such a great day! Sunday Mass at the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala and then we spent the afternoon lunching at Las Olas in Cardiff.


No comments: